Why we like this card: The Instacart Mastercard® caters to those who frequently order groceries through the Instacart delivery platform. However, that’s just one of many perks the card has to offer. With competitive cash back rates and a host of other benefits and protections—all with no annual fee—the Instacart Mastercard is an attractive option for just about anyone looking for a well-rounded cash back card.
- No annual fee
- Free year of Instacart+ free
- No spending requirement to receive welcome offer
- No introductory APR
- Does not offer higher rewards for non-Instacart grocery purchases
- Instacart fees could cancel out cash back earned
Instacart Mastercard: Overview
- Intro: N/A
- Purchase: 20.24%–28.99% variable
- Balance transfer: 20.24%–28.99% variable, plus a fee of $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- My Chase LoanSM APR: 20.24%–28.99% variable, plus a monthly fee of 1.72% of the amount of each eligible purchase transaction or amount selected to create a My Chase Plan
Annual fee: $0
Foreign transaction fee: None
Late payment fee: Up to $40
The Instacart Mastercard® offers a suite of benefits tailored specifically for the frequent Instacart shopper. It offers a standout rewards structure where cardholders earn cash back on every purchase, with the highest rewards rate of 5% cash back on Instacart app and Instacart.com purchases, as well as travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards. Cardholders also earn a competitive 2% cash back at restaurants, gas stations, and on select streaming services as well as 1% cash back on all other purchases
Another appealing aspect of this card is its lack of an annual fee, despite the many valuable benefits and perks it has to offer. In addition to cash back, cardholders also enjoy features such as purchase protection, extended warranty protection, rental car coverage, and more. Plus, new cardholders automatically receive a free year of Instacart+ and a $100 Instacart credit automatically upon approval. (Membership auto-renews and terms apply.). Overall, this card is a solid option for anyone who spends a lot on groceries and travel.
Instacart Mastercard: Rewards
As you might expect, the Instacart Mastercard® rewards cardholders with cash back on Instacart purchases. However, there are a host of spending categories that are eligible for competitive cash back rates:
- 5% cash back on Instacart app and Instacart.com purchases
- 5% cash back on travel purchased through the Chase Travel Center, including flights, hotels, and more
- 2% cash back at restaurants, gas stations, and on select streaming services
- 1% cash back on all other purchases
New cardholders also get a free year of Instacart+ and a $100 Instacart credit automatically upon approval. (Membership auto-renews and terms apply.).
How to redeem Instacart Mastercard rewards
The Instacart Mastercard® offers a few ways to redeem the rewards you’ve earned.
Get cash back
The most direct way to make use of your cash back is to redeem it for a statement credit or direct deposit to your bank account. There is no minimum rewards balance required to redeem for cash back.
Use cash back to pay for Instacart orders
It’s also possible to use your cash back rewards to pay for some or all of your purchases in the Instacart app or on Instacart.com. Again, there’s no minimum required to redeem cash back this way..
Redeem for travel
You can also use your cash back points to book travel through Chase. It’s possible to choose from flights, hotels, cruises, car rentals, and more.
In addition to cash back rewards, the Instacart Mastercard® comes with a host of additional benefits:
- World Elite® Concierge: This complimentary concierge service is available to you 24/7.
- Auto rental collision damage waiver: Receive secondary rental coverage on most cars when you decline the rental company’s collision insurance and charge the entire rental cost to your card.
- Purchase protection: New purchases are covered for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.
- Extended warranty protection: Extends the time period of the U.S. manufacturer’s warranty by an additional year, on eligible warranties of three years or less.
- Baggage delay insurance: If your baggage is delayed by more than six hours, you can get reimbursed for essential purchases up to $100 a day for three days.
- Lost luggage reimbursement: You’re covered up to $3,000 per passenger If you or an immediate family member check or carry on luggage that is damaged or lost by the carrier.
- Roadside assistance: Help will be dispatched if you experience a roadside emergency, and roadside service fees will be billed to your card.
- Travel accident insurance: You are eligible for accidental death or dismemberment coverage of up to $500,000 when you pay for your air, bus, train, or cruise transportation with your card.
- Travel and emergency assistance services: Contact the benefit administrator for legal and medical referrals or other travel and emergency assistance if needed. Keep in mind that you’ll be responsible for the cost of any goods or services obtained.
Is the Instacart Mastercard right for you?
The Instacart Mastercard® makes the most sense for those who do a regular amount of grocery shopping via Instacart, since many of the top benefits are designed for Instacart customers. The card also comes with a host of travel rewards and perks, as well as decent cash back on all other purchases. However, you can likely find a different card with higher rewards on spending outside of Instacart if you aren’t interested in becoming a member.
Credit cards similar to Instacart Mastercard
There are many cash back cards on the market, so it’s important to choose one that best matches your spending habits and preferences. Before you commit to the Instacart Mastercard®, consider these alternatives.
Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards credit card vs. Instacart Mastercard
If you’re looking for a cash back card that rewards you for grocery purchases, you may want to consider the Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards card. With this card, you earn 3% cash back on a category of choice (gas and EV charging stations, online shopping, dining, travel, and more), 2% cash back on grocery store and wholesale club purchases, and 1% cash back on other purchases. The rewards rate for groceries is lower than the Instacart Mastercard®, but you aren’t limited to shopping via Instacart and paying those added fees. However, rewards are capped at $2,500 in combined spending on 2% and 3% categories each quarter. The Customized Cash Rewards card has no annual fee.
DoorDash Rewards Mastercard® vs. Instacart Mastercard
If you often pay for food delivery, but prefer take-out over groceries, the DoorDash Rewards Mastercard may be a good fit for you. Cardholders earn 4% cash back on DoorDash and Caviar orders, 3% cash back on dining directly from a restaurant, 2% cash back on grocery stores, and 1% cash back on all other purchases. Plus, it comes with a complimentary DashPass membership (a $96 value), every year if you spend at least $10,000 on your card. This card also does not charge an annual fee.
Frequently asked questions
What is the Instacart Mastercard used for?
The Instacart Mastercard® can be used for everyday spending across all types of purchases, wherever Mastercard is accepted.
What bank issues the Instacart Mastercard?
The Instacart Mastercard® is issued by Chase Bank.
Can I use my Instacart card for gas?
Yes, you can use the Instacart Mastercard® to pay for gas, with 2% cash back at gas stations.
Please note that card details are accurate as of the publish date, but are subject to change at any time at the discretion of the issuer. Please contact the card issuer to verify rates, fees, and benefits before applying.