Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu has risked outrage after she likened Israel to Nazi Germany and warned that justice will be served. Dr Shola made the comments in a post on X, hours after fighting in the region resumed.
Dr Shola is a lawyer and women’s rights activist who writes books and comment pieces for publications, including the Independent. She wrote: “I condemn the State of Israel with every fibre of my being. What is coming out of Gaza is incomprehensible.
“Scale of evil Israel is perpetrating against Palestinians is staggering. We must never forgive Israel for this. Just like Nazi Germany, one-day justice will be served on it.”
Dr Shola’s comments were met with a mix of agreement and disagreement with some users condemning her for the comments whilst others replied with similar words.
Earlier this week, a humanitarian pause came to an end between Israel and Hamas, resulting in fighting restarting in the region. Up until the final moments, there had been hopes that the ceasefire could be prolonged.
In response to Dr Shola’s comments, one person wrote: “Was it really necessary to include the Nazi Germany comparison???”
Another person asked: “What started this war again?”
A third person wrote: “I’ve always found your comments to be insightful & thought-provoking. This emphatically is not. The Israel/Nazi comparison is offensive, inappropriate, disproportionate, morally unfounded, harmful & intellectually shallow.
“I am not Jewish, just saddened by such nonsense.”
Dr Shola’s comments came just a few days after fighting resumed between Israel and Hamas the destruction of Gaza continued. According to reports, Israel has now withdrawn its top negotiators from Qatar where talks over hostages were taking place.
In a statement, President Benjamin Netanyahu’s team said: “The Hamas terror organisation did not fulfil its part in the agreement, which included the return of all women and children held hostage, in accordance with a list sent to Hamas and approved by them.”
The cessation of hostage negotiations follows questions over one 10-month-old hostage known as Kfir Bibas, who Hamas claim has been killed by an Israeli airstrike but who some believe is still alive because they did not disclose when the strike happened.
In a statement, the Bibas family commented: “We are waiting for the information to be confirmed and hopefully refuted by military officials.”
The family is being supported by liaison officers from the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) who say they are “assessing the accuracy” of the information.
Meanwhile, Hamas has claimed it is planning a new attack they say will be worse than the October 7 attacks where they killed thousands and kidnapped civilians. Chief Hamas representative in Lebanon, Osama Hamdan alleged that a “war of liberation” was coming to Israel.
Mr Hamdan made the threat on Lebanese TV on November 20 and said the next attack will “not be another October 7” a sign that the terrorist group could be planning something worse.
He added that Hamas had no regrets over the attack nearly two months ago and said they had “no regret for shattering an entire division of the occupation army.”
In response, the Lebanese interviewer said: “You said that if the Israelis would make new arrests after all the prisoners are released from Israeli prisons, you would carry out another operation. So can you promise another October 7?”
It was at this point that Mr Hamdan said their next attack wouldn’t be another October 7 and warned the plan was “not far off”.